Magic Martha Argerich

 At the moment, there is a fantastic programme about Martha Argerich's life on France Musique.

Martha Argerich une pianiste libre in 7 episodes. I've been listening to it at work as I've been doing some recataloguing of collection. What a life she has had.

I have been very lucky to have seen her a few times playing in Paris, I'm not sure playing what, I only knew it was not French otherwise I would have remembered (sorry!). A piano concerto -was it Brahms? Did he write concertos for piano?- and some chamber music, which I enjoyed more. 

I'm not sure where it was either that chamber music, a modern place, and she was not playing then during the concert. We are seated towards the back of the room and listening to music sans Martha when I heard some footsteps behind me and then nothing. I turned and looked, it was her, seating on the steps and listening to her friends playing. 

I had heard, perhaps it was from someone at the Conservatoire, that she used to live in a big house and could not sleep and had many friends coming and playing music with her at whatever time of day or night. I thought is it just a myth, another one about one of the most flamboyant musicians I have ever seen and heard? But no, apparently this is true. 

In the France Musique programme they mentioned a documentary done by one of her daughters Bloody Daugher by Stéphanie Argerich. And here it is, available for free on Youtube. What a joy! 

 



 Sorry it's not showing the way I wish it would show, but there are several versions of this documentary on youtube, this one is with Spanish subtitles, there are some with English subtitles. 

And lots of other documentaries about her I can see that, can't watch this at work but I believe my television will be playing this tonight - and tomorrow night. The pleasure also of hearing her speak French, or English, or Spanish... wonderful woman, bringing magic to our lives.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

on the death of one's colleague

First poem in Spanish (avé les corrections)

Hav-Oxford